Sunday, August 10, 2014

So, it is VJ day and it has meaning in the family.

It is VJ day, in 1945 horns were blaring, church bells were pealing, and my great grandmother, Effie Clarissa Lee Weaver was being laid to rest.  But, that is just the beginning of the story.   Effie had purchased a six grave plot in the near by cemetery - one spot for her husband, Lemuel, one for herself, one for her beloved son, Lee, one for his wife, and one each for Lee's two daughters.   As the family lore goes, on the way home from the cemetery on that noisy day, my grandmother turned to my grandfather and said, "Lee, tomorrow we go out and buy our own cemetery plot somewhere else because I am not spending all eternity at that woman's feet".   Now, to understand, Grandma never raised her voice or really spoke harshly.   So, without a doubt, they did go out the next day and purchase their own plot in a different cemetery.  

Apparently, my father had a better relationship with his mother-in-law than my grandmother did.   My parents purchased a plot and have been interred head to head with my mother's parents.


#Odd Family Stories #VJ Day

No comments:

Post a Comment